Sunday, September 9, 2012

31 Day Challenge: Day 10 - Gradient Nails (Nail Fail)

Day 10 challenge is to try your hand at a gradient nail, and luckily there are lots of these tutorials online. So, choosing one, I set to work to make a 2-polish gradient using Essie Bikini So Teeny and OPI Road House Blues. Well, it turned into a bit of a nail fail, and I was left with what my husband described as "kind of like acid wash jeans but more goopy." Thanks hon. So a removed the first attempt and started again with a white nail (Salley Hansen Xtreme Wear White Out).  I then placed a couple drops of my two blues on tin foil and mixed a spectrum in between.  I added a couple of drops of polish thinner and got out my dotting tool.  This was slightly less of a nail fail, but I still don't love it.  Anyway, here are my pictures.





So messy!


Sidenote: What do you use during clean up?  I used pure acetone and a lip brush and I could not get the polish off of my cuticles.  It was almost like my skin had absorbed it?  Do you guys think vasoline would work as a barrier when doing this type of nail?

7 comments:

  1. I like the second gradient :) I would use vaseline! Every time I use it, it helps greatly with cleanup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tape off my nails to help with the cleanup as well

      Delete
  2. Love your nails! I love the second one..I did something really similar. I also tape of my nails...makes a WORLD of difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gradient dotticure but also love the gradient , I know what you mean with the mess , I use tape but am considering vasoline for my next one :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually use tape as well, but vasoline has the benefit of moisturizing your cuticles a bit as long as you don't get any on your actual nails. I've found that clean-up is really tough for me when my cuticles are in bad shape (dry/rough) and when that happens NOTHING seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they both look great! I'm a polka dot addict though so I'd probably end up picking the polka dot one as my favorite of the two.

    For clean up I usually use q-tips dipped in nail polish remover and they work fine for me. Today since I am away from home I had to make due with a cotton round and it just didn't do the job. My cuticles are covered in polish. D:

    I want to upgrade to an actual brush, but I've been buying so much polish recently that I feel bad spending more money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies, sounds like taping off and moisterizing my cuticles is the way to go! I just recently stopped biting my nails and so all my cuticles are a bit rough and dry - need to invest in better cream!

    ReplyDelete